This week’s topic is Gateway Books. I mostly review Young Adult on my blog, but one of my favorite book genres is historical fiction. I’m a history major, and I’m a sucker for historical fiction. Trust me. When someone asks for a book recommendation, I will recommend these five books. You’ll need tissues for all these books. Here are my picks:
- Snow Flower and The Secret Fan by Lisa See – This book has a special place in my heart since it was the first book I’ve purchased from Barnes and Noble when it came out. I read it in one sitting. I cried. The friendship is strong in this book.
- Honolulu by Alan Brennert- Honolulu was such a such a lovely read. The main character was strong and she endured so much! It has a happy ending, but I did shed a couple of tears when I read it.
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini – My english teacher from high school let me borrow her copy of A Thousand Splendid Sun. This is the book that destroyed me. I read it in a day and I was bawling my eyes out. Just thinking about it, makes me feel a bit sad.
- In The Time Of The Butterflies by Julia Alvarez -This is a powerful tale about sisters who rebelled against the Trujillo dictatorship. I loved reading each pov and it was beautifully written.
- Atonement by Ian Mcewan – The movie and the book had me crying. It takes place in one of my favorite eras which is during WWII. I kept picturing the cast of the movie when I read the book.